Thursday, June 2, 2011

Most common questions Part 2






1. Do you have a style or point of view in your work? How would you describe it?

I make it a point to make my work embody Filipino identity, for example, as motifs, character, or values. I grab every chance to use designs or concepts that can be found in our culture as detail or as main motif. For me, illustrations can be a powerful medium in conveying positive messages subconsciously. So, as much as the project allows me, I try to incorporate quotes, words, or symbols in my recent works.

2. What media do you usually use? What factors affect your choice of media and/or technique? Does the story or target audience affect your choice of media? You don't do digital illustrations for your books, right?

I usually work with pencil and acrylic, but I'm open to exploring different medium as well. Sometimes when the schedule can't really accommodate manual renderings, I rely on digital tools for coloring. But I still prefer making it look organic and personal by adding natural textures. Texture, besides characterization, for me is one of the most important element in establishing a personal connection between the illustration and the reader. The mood of the story is a big factor in choosing the medium and technique I want to use in relation to the story. The medium and composition also signify important clues and add a different perspective in understanding the story better.

3. What was your first book? When was it published? How has your work or how you work changed since then?
My first book was "Ayoko Pang Matulog!" under OMF Literature, published in 2005. My succeeding books get much better thereon, while each book is still unique in their own way. Every book have something new that was improved from the last one. Eventually, my work now is more focused on the things I want to convey as an illustrator. I realized I can also have that "voice" in telling a different point of view of a story. I make it a point to impart positive values and messages in every illustration and not just illustrate literally the scenes from the written word.


4. How do you keep your work fresh? Is being fresh or up-to-date important to you?
I want my works up-to-date only because I'd like to keep up with the target audience's attention, whom are basically children, which is very hard to get hold of. But, I also want my works to stand the test of time by sticking to classical techniques and medium. In my works, I try to achieve balance in making it classic at the same time modern, by infusing traditional illustration techniques with modern illustration concepts and visualization.

-Interview by Liza Flores

No comments: